We’re excited to share that the high school application period is now open! All current eighth grade students in NYC can apply to high school by February 23, 2021. You can apply to 12 programs with your child’s personalized high school application. Even if you are uncertain about plans for this fall, there is no downside to applying now.
HOW TO APPLY
- Log in to your nyc account. You will use MySchools, the DOE’s online directory and application system, to explore high schools and apply. To get started, watch the “How to Create Your MySchools Account” tutorial.
- Learn about high schools and programs—watch the “Exploring High Schools” video to learn how.
- Use MySchools to search for programs based on your child’s interests, location, and more. Find out if high schools are hosting virtual open houses or offering resources for prospective families by visiting schools’ websites or contacting them directly.
- On each program’s MySchools page, check how they make offers and if your child needs to complete any additional steps; for instance, some programs require a virtual audition.
- Read our newly updated digital High School Admissions Guide: learn about students’ chances to get offers to specific programs and how to build a balanced application.
- Add 12 program choices to your child’s application in MySchools. List these choices in your true order of preference, with your first-choice program at the top as #1.
*The eight testing Specialized High Schools and LaGuardia High School use a separate admissions process; you cannot list these schools on your child’s application. To participate, register by January 28 to take the SHSAT and/or register by February 23 to audition for LaGuardia High School. Learn more at schools.nyc.gov/SHS.*
- Submit your application by the February 23 deadline.
- Apply one of three ways: online with MySchools, through your child’s current school counselor, or through a Family Welcome Center.
- Questions? Watch the “How to Apply to Middle or High School” MySchools tutorial.
- Visit nyc.gov/High for the most up-to-date admissions information and to watch our High School Admissions Video Series—more videos are coming soon.
- Need support with your MySchools account, your child’s unique account creation code (mailed to families in mid-December), or your application? Have other admissions questions? We’re here to help! Talk to your child’s school counselor or contact a Family Welcome Center.
The High School Admissions Team, Office of Student Enrollment